Knox College was chartered to grant degrees by the Government of Ontario in 1858. Its prominent location at 1 Spadina Crescent from 1875 – 1915 continues to be remembered through an historical plaque. The present building located at the heart of the University of Toronto (next to Convocation Hall) was dedicated in 1915. Its perpendicular Gothic style modelled on the colleges of Oxford and Cambridge, England is considered one of the finest examples of this architecture in Canada.
Although all of the Knox faculty and most of the student body joined the United Church of Canada in 1925, the Knox building was awarded to The Presbyterian Church in Canada. The College has continued to provide a focus for maintaining the distinctiveness of Presbyterian heritage within an ecumenical theological environment.
From 1969 Knox has been a member institution of the Toronto School of Theology (TST), a federation of seven colleges within the University of Toronto. Under an agreement with the University, the degrees Master of Divinity, Master of Theology, and Doctor of Theology are awarded conjointly with the University. The Doctor of Ministry degree is offered through TST. Knox also registers students for the Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy programs in theology with the actual degrees being awarded by St. Michael’s University. Knox independently retains the right to award the degree, Doctor of Divinity (honoris causa). Knox College is a fully accredited member of the Association of Theological Schools in the United States and Canada.