Phone Number: 416-978-2793
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rev. Dr. Pamela McCarroll, Associate Professor of Pastoral Theology & Director of Theological Field Education
Pamela joined the faculty in 2008.
Her areas of teaching are in Pastoral Theology, Pastoral Care and Counseling, Practice of Ministry and Theological Field Education and she is a certified Teaching Supervisor in Clinical Pastoral Education, CASC (formerly CAPPE).
Pamela is a member of the East Toronto Presbytery (PCC), a member of the Presbytery Pastoral Relations committee and Minister in Association at St. Mark’s Presbyterian Church, Toronto ON.
Classes I teach …
- Pastoral Care: Self, Family, Congregation – KNP2548
- Introduction to the Practice of Ministry – KNP1601
- Theological Field Education (TFE) Practicum
- Pastoral Integration – KNP3663
- Spiritual Distress, Crises and Care – KNP3501
- Suffering and Hope – KNP3510/KNP6510
My Publications …
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- Pamela R. McCarroll, “Practical Theology: Challenges and Possibilities,” Toronto Journal of Theology, 29.1: Spring 2013, 155-161. 6 pages
- Pam McCarroll, “The Whole as Love: George Grant’s Theological Vision,” Toronto Journal of Theology, 24.2: Summer 2008, 183-195. 13 pages
- Pamela McCarroll-Butler & Allen G. Jorgensen, “Iain G. Nicol: Celebrating a Faithful Doctor of the Church,” Toronto Journal of Theology, 18.1: Spring 2003, 7-12. 5 pages
- Thomas St. James O’Connor, Pam McCarroll-Butler et al., “Review of Quantity and Types of Spirituality Research in Three Healthcare Databases (1962-1999): Implications for Healthcare Ministry,” Journal of Pastoral Care and Counseling, 56.3: Fall 2002, 227-232. 6 pages
- Thomas St. James O’Connor, Elizabeth Meakes, Pamela McCarroll-Butler et al., “Making the Most of It and Making Sense: Ethnographic Research on Spirituality and Palliative Care,” Journal of Pastoral Care, 51.1: Spring 1997, 25-36. 11 pages
- Thomas St. James O’Connor, Elizabeth Meakes, Pamela McCarroll-Butler et al., “Diversity in the Pastoral Relationship: Evaluation of Helping Styles,” Journal of Pastoral Care, 49.4: Winter 1995, 365-374. 10 pages
Other Articles and chapters in multi-authored volumes
- Pamela R. McCarroll & Helen Cheung, “Re-imaging Hope in the Care of Souls: A Literature Review Re-Defining Hope” Psychotherapy: Cure of the Soul, Society of Pastoral Counseling Research 2013, Patricia Berendsen, Kristine Lund & Thomas St. James O’Connor, eds. Waterloo: Waterloo Lutheran Seminary, 2014, 147-171.
- Pam McCarroll et al, “Towards an Ethical Framework in Assessing Plurality in Understandings of Spirituality, Spirituality and Health: Multidisciplinary Explorations, edited by A. Meier, T. O’Connor, P. VanKatwyk (Waterloo: Wilfred Laurier University Press, 2005). 10 pages
- Pamela Couture, Robert Mager, Pamela R. McCarroll, Natalie Wigg, One God, Many Stories (Berlin: LIT Verlag, 2015) ongoing.
- Allen G. Jorgensen & Pamela McCarroll-Butler, eds. No Where to Lay Their Heads: The Sojourning Character of Christian Doctrine and the Church, Essays in Honour of Iain G. Nicol, Toronto Journal of Theology (Special Issue), 18.1: Spring 2003.
Books, Sole Author
- Pamela R. McCarroll, At the End of Hope – The Beginning: Narratives of Hope in the Face of Suffering and Trauma, (Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2014).
- Pamela R. McCarroll, Waiting at the Foot of the Cross: Towards a Theology of Hope for Today, (Eugene OR: Pickwick , 2014).
Papers presented at Meetings and Symposia
- Plenary Speaker, “Qualitative Research in Spiritual Care,” Canadian Association of Spiritual Care (CASC), AGM, Hamilton, April 2015.
- “Re-imagining Hope in the Care of Souls,” Society of Pastoral Counseling Research AGM, Waterloo, May 2013
- “Engaging the Wiley Blackwell Companion to Practical Theology,” International Academy of Practical Theology Canadian Working Group Panel, Toronto School of Theology, November 2012.
- “Narratives of Identity and Diversity in Practice,” International Academy of Practical Theology (IAPT) Canadian Working Group Symposia, March & October 2011, Toronto, Montreal
- “Narratives of Hope,” Canadian Association of Pastoral Practice (CASC) AGM, Calgary, April 28-May 2, 2010.
- “Waiting for the Thief in the Night: Thinking about Hope in Our North American Context,” Winter Seminar, Louisville Institute, Louisville Kentucky. January 2005.
- “Themes in Spirituality in the Medical Literature: A Theological Reflection,” Canadian Society for Pastoral Counselling Research, Hamilton. May 2001.
- “Making the Most of It and Making Sense: Ethnographic Research on Spirituality and Palliative Care,” Canadian Association of Palliative Care, Halifax. October 1995.
- “Preaching Hope in Times of Despair,” Toronto Preaching Festival, October 26-28, 2014
- “Nurturing Hope in Healthcare Practice”, Spiritual and Religious Care Grand Rounds, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto and St. Joseph’s Healthcare Hamilton, October 2013
- “Hope in a Confused and Conflicted World,” Faculty Lectureship, Waterloo Lutheran Seminary, Wilfred Laurier University, March 30, 2011.
- “Kicking against the Darkness: Hope for the Living of these Days,” Chris Vais Memorial Lectureship, Knox College, November 1, 2008.
- “Hope In Times of Adversity – A Patient-Centred Approach,” Spiritual & Religious Care Education Rounds, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, April 2007.
- “Waiting in Winter’s Darkness: Contemplating the Character of Hope Amidst Crisis,” Oncology Grand Rounds, Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre. December 2006.
Other Publications and Workshops
- “Practicing Hope,” Workshop Leader, Manna Day, Creiff Hills Retreat Centre, October 2015.
- “Hope in Hebrews,” Workshop Leader, AGM, Women’s Missionary Society, Creiff Hills Retreat Centre, May 2015.
- “Pastoral Care in Congregational Context,” Retreat Leader, Elder’s Con Ed, Knox Presbyterian Church, Peterborough, November 2014
- “The Horizon of Hope,” Feature Article, Presbyterian Record July/August 2014
- “Discovering Hope in the Face of Despair” Burst Forth National Women’s Gathering, Toronto, May 2014.
- “Hope in the Present Tense,” Presbyterian Record, February 2014.
- “Waiting as Spiritual Practice,” These Days, October – December 2012.
- “Living In Sin,” Presbyterian Record, September 2012.
- Advent Liturgies, Presbyterian World Service & Development (PCC), 2011.
- Poverty and Hope, United Church Women Toronto Conference AGM, May 3-4, 2011.
- “Communicating and Communing,” Presbyterian Record, February 2011.
- “Finding God Everywhere All the Time,” Presbyterian Record, December 2010.
- Sexuality, Spirituality and the Church – Then and Now, Three Questions: Discerning Where we have been, where we are now and where we are going, Day-long Conference, St. Andrew’s Church, Toronto, October 30, 2010.
- Lighten Our Darkness: Faces of Hope in a Conflicted World, Fall Lecture Series, St. Andrew’s Church, Toronto, October 2010.
- “Finding God in our Neighbour,” Presbyterian Record, March 2010.
- Matters of Grief and Loss, Plenary Speaker, Boarding Homes Ministries, March 2009