Phone Number: 416-978-2793
Email Address: email@example.com
The Rev. Dr. Pamela McCarroll, Assistant Professor of Pastoral Theology & Director of Theological Field Education
Pamela joined the faculty in 2008.
Her areas of teaching are in Pastoral Theology, Pastoral Care and Counseling, Practice of Ministry and Theological Field Education and she is a certified Teaching Supervisor in Clinical Pastoral Education, CASC (formerly CAPPE).
Pamela is a member of the East Toronto Presbytery (PCC), a member of the Presbytery Pastoral Relations committee and Minister in Association at St. Mark’s Presbyterian Church, Toronto ON.
Classes I teach …
- Pastoral Care: Self, Family, Congregation – KNP2548
- Introduction to the Practice of Ministry – KNP1601
- Theological Field Education (TFE) Practicum
My Publications …
Articles in peer-reviewed journals
- Pamela R. McCarroll, “Practical Theology: Challenges and Possibilities,” Toronto Journal of Theology, 29.1: Spring 2013, 155-161. 6 pages
- Pam McCarroll, “The Whole as Love: George Grant’s Theological Vision,” Toronto Journal of Theology, 24.2: Summer 2008, 183-195. 13 pages
- Pamela McCarroll-Butler & Allen G. Jorgensen, “Iain G. Nicol: Celebrating a Faithful Doctor of the Church,” Toronto Journal of Theology, 18.1: Spring 2003, 7-12. 5 pages
- Thomas St. James O’Connor, Pam McCarroll-Butler et al., “Review of Quantity and Types of Spirituality Research in Three Healthcare Databases (1962-1999): Implications for Healthcare Ministry,” Journal of Pastoral Care and Counseling, 56.3: Fall 2002, 227-232. 6 pages
- Thomas St. James O’Connor, Elizabeth Meakes, Pamela McCarroll-Butler et al., “Making the Most of It and Making Sense: Ethnographic Research on Spirituality and Palliative Care,” Journal of Pastoral Care, 51.1: Spring 1997, 25-36. 11 pages
- Thomas St. James O’Connor, Elizabeth Meakes, Pamela McCarroll-Butler et al., “Diversity in the Pastoral Relationship: Evaluation of Helping Styles,” Journal of Pastoral Care, 49.4: Winter 1995, 365-374. 10 pages
Other Articles and chapters in multi-authored volumes
- Pam McCarroll et al, “Towards an Ethical Framework in Assessing Plurality in Understandings of Spirituality, Spirituality and Health: Multidisciplinary Explorations, edited by A. Meier, T. O’Connor, P. VanKatwyk (Waterloo: Wilfred Laurier University Press, 2005). 10 pages
- Pamela Couture, Robert Mager, Pamela R. McCarroll, Natalie Wigg, One God, Many Stories (Berlin: LIT Verlag, 2015) pending.
- Allen G. Jorgensen & Pamela McCarroll-Butler, eds. No Where to Lay Their Heads: The Sojourning Character of Christian Doctrine and the Church, Essays in Honour of Iain G. Nicol, Toronto Journal of Theology (Special Issue), 18.1: Spring 2003.
Manuscripts in Process under contract
- Pamela R. McCarroll, At the End of Hope – The Beginning: Narratives of Hope in the Face of Suffering and Trauma, Fortress Press (under contract), 2014. 130 pages
- Pamela R. McCarroll, Waiting at the Foot of the Cross: Towards a Theology of Hope for Today, Pickwick Pub. (under contract), 2013. 230 pages
Papers presented at Meetings and Symposia
- “Re-imagining Hope in the Care of Souls,” Society of Pastoral Counseling Research AGM, Waterloo, May 2013
- “Engaging the Wiley Blackwell Companion to Practical Theology,” International Academy of Practical Theology Canadian Working Group Panel, Toronto School of Theology, November 2012.
- “Narratives of Identity and Diversity in Practice,” International Academy of Practical Theology (IAPT) Canadian Working Group Symposia, March & October 2011, Toronto, Montreal
- “Narratives of Hope,” Canadian Association of Pastoral Practice (CASC) AGM, Calgary, April 28-May 2, 2010.
- “Waiting for the Thief in the Night: Thinking about Hope in Our North American Context,” Winter Seminar, Louisville Institute, Louisville Kentucky. January 2005.
- “Themes in Spirituality in the Medical Literature: A Theological Reflection,” Canadian Society for Pastoral Counselling Research, Hamilton. May 2001.
- “Making the Most of It and Making Sense: Ethnographic Research on Spirituality and Palliative Care,” Canadian Association of Palliative Care, Halifax. October 1995.
- Nurturing Hope in Healthcare Practice (working title), Spiritual and Religious Care Grand Rounds, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, October 2013
- Recognizing Hope in the Face of Trauma and Death (working title), Spiritual Care Week, St. Joseph’s Healthcare Oct 2013
- Hope in a Confused and Conflicted World. Faculty Lectureship, Waterloo Lutheran Seminary, Wilfred Laurier University, March 30, 2011.
- “Kicking against the Darkness: Hope for the Living of these Days,” Chris Vais Memorial Lectureship, Knox College, November 1, 2008.
- “Hope In Times of Adversity – A Patient-Centred Approach,” Spiritual & Religious Care Education Rounds, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, April 2007.
- “Waiting in Winter’s Darkness: Contemplating the Character of Hope Amidst Crisis,” Oncology Grand Rounds, Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre. December 2006.
Other Publications and Workshops
- “Waiting as Spiritual Practice,” These Days, October – December 2012.
- “Living In Sin,” Presbyterian Record, September 2012.
- Advent Liturgies, Presbyterian World Service & Development (PCC), 2011.
- Poverty and Hope, United Church Women Toronto Conference AGM, May 3-4, 2011.
- “Communicating and Communing,” Presbyterian Record, February 2011.
- “Finding God Everywhere All the Time,” Presbyterian Record, December 2010.
- Sexuality, Spirituality and the Church – Then and Now, Three Questions: Discerning Where we have been, where we are now and where we are going, Day-long Conference, St. Andrew’s Church, Toronto, October 30, 2010.
- Lighten Our Darkness: Faces of Hope in a Conflicted World, Fall Lecture Series, St. Andrew’s Church, Toronto, October 2010.
- “Finding God in our Neighbour,” Presbyterian Record, March 2010.
- Matters of Grief and Loss, Plenary Speaker, Boarding Homes Ministries, March 2009