Phone Number: 416-978-2793
Email Address: email@example.com
The Rev. Dr. Pam McCarroll, Assistant Professor of Pastoral Theology & Director of Theological Field Education
Pam is the newest member of the Knox Faculty, joining the College in 2008.
Her areas of teaching are in Pastoral Theology, Pastoral Care and Counseling, Practice of Ministry and Theological Field Education and she is a certified Teaching Supervisor in Clinical Pastoral Education, CASC (formerly CAPPE).
Pam is a member of the East Toronto Presbytery (PCC), a member of the Presbytery Pastoral Relations committee and Minister in Association at St. Mark’s Presbyterian Church, Toronto ON.
Classes I teach …
- Pastoral Care: Self, Family, Congregation – KNP2548
- Introduction to the Practice of Ministry – KNP1601
- Theological Field Education (TFE) Practicum
My Publications …
- Allen G. Jorgensen & Pamela McCarroll-Butler, eds. No Where to Lay Their Heads: The Sojourning Character of Christian Doctrine and the Church, Essays in Honour of Iain G. Nicol, Toronto Journal of Theology (Special Issue), 18.1: Spring 2003.
Chapters in Books
- Pam McCarroll et al, “Towards an Ethical Framework in Assessing Plurality in Understandings of Spirituality, Spirituality and Health: Multidisciplinary Explorations, edited by A. Meier, T. O’Connor, P. VanKatwyk (Waterloo: Wilfred Laurier University Press, 2005).
Papers in Refereed Journals
- Pam McCarroll, “The Whole as Love: George Grant’s Theological Vision,” Toronto Journal of Theology, 24:2, Fall 2008, 183-195.
- Pamela McCarroll-Butler & Allen G. Jorgensen, “Iain G. Nicol: Celebrating a Faithful Doctor of the Church,” Toronto Journal of Theology, 18.1: Spring 2003, 7-12.
- Thomas St. James O’Connor, Pam McCarroll-Butler et al., “Review of Quantity and Types of Spirituality Research in Three Healthcare Databases (1962-1999): Implications for Healthcare Ministry,” Journal of Pastoral Care and Counseling, 56.3: Fall 2002, 227-232.
- Thomas St. James O’Connor, Pamela McCarroll-Butler et al., “Making the Most of It and Making Sense: Ethnographic Research on Spirituality and Palliative Care,” Journal of Pastoral Care, 51.1: Spring 1997, 25-36.
- Thomas St. James O’Connor, Elizabeth Meakes, Pamela McCarroll-Butler et al., “Diversity in the Pastoral Relationship: Evaluation of Helping Styles,” Journal of Pastoral Care, 49.4: Winter 1995, 365-374.
Papers in Refereed Conference Proceedings
- “Narratives of Hope,” Canadian Association of Pastoral Practice Annual General Meetings, April 28-May 2, 2010.
- “Waiting for the Thief in the Night: Thinking about Hope in Our North American Context,” Winter Seminar, Louisville Institute, Louisville Kentucky. January 2005.
- “Themes in Spirituality in the Medical Literature: A Theological Reflection,” Canadian Society for Pastoral Counselling Research, Hamilton. May 2001.
- “Making the Most of It and Making Sense: Ethnographic Research on Spirituality and Palliative Care,” Canadian Association of Palliative Care, Halifax. October 1995.
Papers Read/ Workshops
- “Lighten our Darkness”: Faces of Hope in a Confused and Conflicted World, St. Andrew’s Church Lecture Series, October 2010
- Sexuality, Spirituality and the Church – Then and Now, Three Questions: Discerning Where we have been, where we are now and where we are going, Day-long Conference, St. Andrew’s Church, October 30, 2010.
- “Matters of Grief and Loss,” Boarding Homes Ministries Annual General Meeting, Toronto, March 2009.
- “Kicking against the Darkness: Hope for the Living of these Days,” Chris Vais Memorial Lectureship, Knox College, November 1, 2008.
- “Hope in Times of Adversity – A Patient-Centred Approach,” Spiritual & Religious Care Education Rounds, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, April 2007.
- “Waiting in Winter’s Darkness: Contemplating the Character of Hope Amidst Crisis,” Oncology Grand Rounds, Toronto Sunnybrook Regional Cancer Centre. December 2006.
- “Spirituality and Grief,” Spirituality and the Health Disciplines Conference. Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton. November 1999.
- Pamela McCarroll, “Finding God at Work,” Presbyterian Record, December 2010.
- Pamela McCarroll, “Finding God in our Neighbour,” Presbyterian Record, March 2010
- Pam McCarroll, “Kicking against the Darkness: Hope for the Living of These Days,” The Chris Vais Memorial Lecture, Knox College website.
- Pam McCarroll-Butler, “Reclaiming the Story of Ewart College, 100 Years After its Founding,” The Presbyterian Record, October 1996.
- Robert Pennington, The Christ Chaplain, Toronto Journal of Theology, in process.
- Elizabeth Newman, Untamed Hospitality: Welcoming God and Other Strangers, Toronto Journal of Theology, 24.1, Spring 2008.
- Dorothee Soelle, Against the Wind: Memoir of a Radical Christian, Toronto Journal of Theology, 16.2, Fall 2000.