Phone Number : 416-978-2789
Email Address : email@example.com
Dr. Brian Irwin, Associate Professor of Old Testament/Hebrew Scriptures
Brian joined the Knox Faculty in 2004.
Brian enjoys assisting students achieve a better understanding of the culture and setting of the Bible, and helping them acquire the tools to exegete and apply it in a responsible and life-changing way. His areas of teaching are Old Testament Introduction, Interpretation, Prophets, Hebrew Exegesis, and Israelite Religion. Brian is frequently invited as a guest lecturer and preacher in a variety of denominational settings. He is an active member of Glenbrook Presbyterian Church, Mississauga.
- “The Curious Incident of the Boys and the Bears: 2 Kings 2 and the Prophetic Authority of Elisha.” Tyndale Bulletin 67, no. 1 (2016): 23–35.
- “Amos 4:1 and the Cows of Bashan on Mount Samaria: A Reappraisal.” Catholic Biblical Quarterly 74/2 (2012): 231–46.
- “Not Just Any King: Abimelek, the Northern Monarchy, and the Final Form of Judges.” Journal of Biblical Literature, 131/3 (2012): 443–54.
- “Social Justice.” In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Prophets. Eds. Mark Boda & J. Gordon McConville. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2012.
- “Habershon, Ada Ruth.” In The Handbook of Women Biblical Interpreters: A Historical and Biographical Guide, edited by Marion Ann Taylor and Agnes Choi, Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2012.
- “The Book of Daniel and the Roots of New Testament Mission.” In Christian Mission: Old Testament Foundations and New Testament Developments. McMaster New Testament Studies. Ed. Stanley Porter. Eugene, OR: Wipf and Stock, 2010.
- Randall Heskett & Brian Irwin (Eds.) The Bible As A Human Witness To Divine Revelation: Hearing The Word Of God Through Historically Dissimilar Traditions. Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies 469. London: T & T Clark, 2010.
- “Removing Ruth: Tiqqune Sopherim in Ruth 3.3-4?” Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 32 (2008): 331-338.
- “The Laying on of Hands in 1 Tim. 5:22: A New Proposal.” Bulletin of Biblical Research 18/1 (2008): 123-129.
- “Ruth, History of Interpretation.” In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry, and Writings. Eds. Tremper Longman III & Peter Enns. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2008.
- “Amanuensis.” In Vol. 1 of The New Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Old Testament. Eds. Katharine Doob Sakenfeld et al. Nashville: Abingdon, 2006.
- “Ekron.” In Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books. Eds. Bill T. Arnold & H. G. M. Williamson. Downers Grove, IL: InterVarsity, 2005.
- “Yahweh’s Suspension of Free Will in the Old Testament: Divine Immorality or Sign-Act?” Tyndale Bulletin 54/2 (2003): 55-62
- Entries, “Cubit,” “Hamon-Gog,” “Libnah,” “Mount Gilboa,” “Topheth,” and “Travellers, Valley of the” in The Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible. Ed. David Noel Freedman. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans. 2000.
- “Molek Imagery and the Slaughter of Gog in Ezekiel 38 and 39.” Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 65 (1995): 93-112.
- “Mahaneh-Dan.” Pp. 473-74 in Vol. 4 of The Anchor Bible Dictionary. Ed. David Noel Freedman et al. New York: Doubleday, 1992.
- “Shebarim.” Pp. 1171-72 in Vol. 5 of The Anchor Bible Dictionary. Ed. David Noel Freedman et al. New York: Doubleday, 1992.